Born and raised in the heart of Mississippi, Lillian Mayfield is a seasoned Southern cook with a passion for sharing her love of Southern cuisine. With over 20 years of experience in the kitchen, she has a wealth of knowledge and recipes to share. Lillian's cooking style is all about comfort food with a modern twist.
When it comes to Southern cooking, grits are a staple that can be enjoyed any time of day. Whether you're serving them for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, finding the perfect side dish to accompany your creamy bowl of grits can take your meal to the next level. Here are some delicious and traditional Southern side dishes that pair beautifully with grits:
1. Fried Green Tomatoes: Crispy on the outside and tangy on the inside, fried green tomatoes are a classic Southern delicacy. The tartness of the tomatoes complements the creamy texture of the grits, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
2. Collard Greens: Slow-cooked collard greens are a Southern favorite and make a fantastic side dish for grits. The earthy and slightly bitter greens provide a nice contrast to the smoothness of the grits. Don't forget to add some smoky bacon or ham hock for extra flavor!
3. Shrimp and Grits: If you're looking for a main course that pairs well with grits, you can't go wrong with shrimp and grits. The combination of plump, juicy shrimp and creamy grits is a match made in Southern heaven. Add some sautéed bell peppers and onions for a burst of color and flavor.
4. Fried Chicken: A Southern classic, fried chicken is a crowd-pleaser that goes perfectly with a side of grits. The crispy, golden-brown skin of the chicken complements the smoothness of the grits, creating a comforting and satisfying meal.
5. Black-eyed Peas: Black-eyed peas are a traditional Southern side dish that pairs well with grits. These tender and flavorful legumes add a hearty element to your meal and provide a nice contrast in texture.
6. Cornbread: Cornbread is a beloved Southern staple that makes an excellent side dish for grits. The crumbly texture and slightly sweet flavor of cornbread complement the creamy grits, creating a delightful combination of tastes and textures.
7. Okra: Whether it's fried, stewed, or pickled, okra is a versatile vegetable that pairs well with grits. Its unique texture and subtle flavor add depth to your meal and make for a satisfying Southern feast.
8. Cheese Grits Casserole: If you want to take your grits to the next level, try making a cheese grits casserole. This rich and cheesy dish is the perfect accompaniment to any meal and will have your taste buds singing with joy.
So, whether you're enjoying grits for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, these traditional Southern side dishes will elevate your meal and leave you craving more. Experiment with different combinations and flavors to find your perfect grits pairing. Happy cooking, y'all!