🍅 Southern Tomato Pie Recipe 🥧
Southern Tomato Pie
You will need:
- Pie crust
- 4-5 ripe tomatoes
- 1 cup of fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of chopped green onions
- 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup of mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper
- First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). This will ensure that the oven is hot enough when you're ready to bake the pie.
- Next, line your pie crust with parchment paper. This will prevent the crust from sticking to the pie dish. Fill the crust with pie weights or dried beans to keep the crust from puffing up during baking.
- Bake the pie crust for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the weights. Continue baking for another 10 minutes until the crust is lightly golden.
- While the crust is baking, slice your ripe tomatoes. Lay them out on paper towels to drain. This step is crucial as it helps to remove excess moisture from the tomatoes, which can make your pie soggy.
- Once the crust is ready, layer the sliced tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and chopped green onions in the pie crust. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the grated sharp cheddar cheese, grated mozzarella cheese, and mayonnaise until well combined.
- Spread this cheese mixture evenly over the layered tomatoes in the pie crust. This will create a delicious, cheesy topping for your pie.
- Finally, bake the pie in your preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Let the pie cool for a few minutes before serving.
This savory pie is a perfect way to use up ripe summer tomatoes. Serve it as a side dish or a main with a green salad.
Are you ready to experience the true taste of the South? Look no further than our mouthwatering Southern Tomato Pie recipe. Bursting with fresh flavors and cheesy goodness, this savory pie is the perfect way to showcase those ripe summer tomatoes. Whether you serve it as a side dish or make it the star of your meal with a crisp green salad, this recipe is sure to impress.
To make this Southern Tomato Pie, you'll need a few simple ingredients. Start with a flaky pie crust, which provides the perfect base for all the deliciousness to come. Then, gather 4-5 ripe tomatoes, 1 cup of fresh basil leaves, 1/2 cup of chopped green onions, 1 cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese, 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese, 1/2 cup of mayonnaise, and salt and pepper for seasoning.
Now, let's get cooking! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line the pie crust with parchment paper. Fill it with pie weights or dried beans to prevent it from puffing up during baking. Bake the crust for 10 minutes, then carefully remove the weights and bake for another 10 minutes until it turns golden brown.
While the crust is baking, slice the tomatoes and lay them out on paper towels to drain excess moisture. This step ensures that your pie won't become soggy. Once the crust is ready, it's time to assemble the pie. Start by layering the tomatoes, basil, and green onions in the crust, creating a beautiful medley of colors and flavors.
In a bowl, mix together the grated cheddar and mozzarella cheeses with the mayonnaise. This creamy mixture will add a delightful richness to the pie. Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes, ensuring that it covers the entire surface. Season with salt and pepper to taste, enhancing the flavors of the fresh ingredients.
Pop the pie into the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. The aroma that fills your kitchen will be irresistible! Once it's done, remove the pie from the oven and let it cool for a few minutes before slicing into it. The combination of the flaky crust, juicy tomatoes, fragrant basil, and gooey cheese is simply divine.
Serve this Southern Tomato Pie as a side dish at your next barbecue or make it the star of a cozy family dinner. Its versatility and crowd-pleasing flavors make it a true Southern classic. Don't be surprised if your guests ask for seconds!
So, what are you waiting for? Gather your ingredients, preheat your oven, and get ready to indulge in the flavors of the South. This Southern Tomato Pie is a true taste of Southern hospitality and a dish that will keep you coming back for more. Enjoy!