🍲 Southern Oxtail Stew Recipe
Southern Oxtail Stew
You will need:
- 3 lbs oxtail
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 4 carrots, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- First, heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the 3 lbs of oxtail to the pot, making sure to brown it evenly on all sides. This will help lock in the flavor and give the stew a rich, meaty taste.
- Once browned, remove the oxtail from the pot and set it aside for now.
- In the same pot, add your chopped onion and minced garlic. Cook these until they're softened and fragrant. This will form the base flavor for your stew.
- Return the browned oxtail to the pot. Now it's time to add your seasonings: 1 teaspoon each of salt, black pepper, thyme, and paprika. These will give your stew a deep, savory flavor.
- Next, add your chopped carrots and celery to the pot. Pour in 4 cups of beef broth and 1 cup of red wine. The wine will add a rich, robust flavor to the stew.
- Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 3 hours. This slow cooking process will allow the oxtail to become tender and the flavors to meld together.
- After 3 hours, mix 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with a little water to make a slurry. Stir this into the stew to help thicken it.
- Let the stew simmer for another 10 minutes to allow the cornstarch to work its magic. Then, your Southern Oxtail Stew is ready to serve!
This stew is best enjoyed with a side of cornbread or over a bed of white rice. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste.
Indulge in the rich flavors of the South with our mouthwatering Southern Oxtail Stew recipe. This hearty dish is perfect for those cozy nights when you crave a comforting and satisfying meal. Let the tender oxtail, aromatic spices, and fresh vegetables transport you to the heart of Southern cuisine.
To make this Southern Oxtail Stew, you will need a few key ingredients. Start with 3 lbs of oxtail, which will become meltingly tender as it simmers in the pot. Heat up 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add the oxtail and brown it on all sides. This step helps to develop the rich flavors of the stew.
Next, remove the oxtail from the pot and set it aside. In the same pot, add 1 large chopped onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic. Cook them until they become softened and fragrant. Return the oxtail to the pot and season everything with 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of black pepper, 2 bay leaves, 1 teaspoon of thyme, and 1 teaspoon of paprika. These spices will infuse the stew with layers of savory goodness.
Now it's time to add the vegetables. Chop up 4 carrots and 4 celery stalks, and add them to the pot along with 4 cups of beef broth and 1 cup of red wine. The combination of these ingredients creates a rich and flavorful base for the stew. Cover the pot and let it simmer for 3 hours, allowing all the flavors to meld together and the oxtail to become tender.
To thicken the stew, create a slurry by mixing 2 tablespoons of cornstarch with a little water, then stir it into the pot. Let the stew simmer for another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to fully develop and the sauce to thicken.
Serve this Southern Oxtail Stew with a side of cornbread or over a bed of white rice for a complete Southern feast. The tender oxtail, flavorful vegetables, and rich sauce will leave you craving more. Feel free to adjust the seasonings to your taste, adding a touch of spice or a hint of sweetness to make it your own.
At Grits N Grace, we are dedicated to bringing you the best of Southern cooking and lifestyle. From classic recipes like this Southern Oxtail Stew to home decor ideas and more, we are your ultimate guide to all things Southern. So grab your apron and get ready to experience the warmth and hospitality of the South through our delicious recipes.