🌽 Grits and Gravy with a Modern Twist 🍄
Grits and Gravy with a Modern Twist
You will need:
- 1 cup grits
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (bell peppers, zucchini, etc.)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- First, bring 2 cups of vegetable broth to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Once boiling, slowly stir in the grits. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let it simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the grits are almost done, which should be in about 20 minutes, add in your choice of chopped vegetables. Let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the grits are cooking, start preparing the gravy. In a separate pan, sauté the sliced mushrooms and onions over medium heat until they are caramelized and have released their juices.
- Next, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour over the mushrooms and onions. Stir well until the flour is fully incorporated and the mixture becomes a bit dry.
- Slowly pour in the remaining 1 cup of vegetable broth while continuously stirring. This will help to avoid any lumps in your gravy. Allow the mixture to simmer until it thickens to your desired consistency.
- Season your gravy with salt and pepper according to your taste.
- Finally, serve the vegetable grits in a bowl or plate and top it with the mushroom and onion gravy. Enjoy your modern twist on a traditional Southern dish!
Feel free to experiment with different types of vegetables in your grits or different types of mushrooms in your gravy. This is a versatile dish that can be tailored to your personal preference.
Experience the heart of Southern cuisine with our modern take on a classic dish: Grits and Gravy. This recipe is a testament to the versatility of grits, a true Southern staple. It's a delightful blend of traditional comfort food and contemporary flavors, perfect for those who love to experiment in the kitchen.
Our version of Grits and Gravy is a symphony of textures and tastes. Imagine creamy grits cooked in rich vegetable broth, combined with a colorful medley of sautéed vegetables. The dish is then topped with a homemade gravy, featuring caramelized onions and mushrooms, thickened to perfection. It's a hearty meal that's not only satisfying but also packed with nutrients.
This recipe is a great example of how you can cook grits in creative ways. It's also a perfect illustration of the versatility of grits as they can be paired with a variety of ingredients, from vegetables to meats, and even seafood.
For those who are conscious about their diet, you'll be pleased to know that this dish can be a part of your healthy meal plan. As we've discussed in our article Are Grits Gluten-Free? Unearthing the Dietary Benefits of Southern Comfort Food, grits are a good source of vitamins and minerals and are naturally gluten-free.
Don't be afraid to put your own spin on this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite vegetables or add some protein like grilled chicken or shrimp. The possibilities are endless when you're cooking with grits. If you're looking for more inspiration, check out our collection of Southern food recipes.
With Grits N Grace, you're not just learning to cook - you're mastering the art of Southern cuisine. So, grab your apron and let's get cooking!